Do you like to play logic games? Logic games come in lots of different styles, and are played by adults and kids alike. It’s one of the best ways to prepare for tests like the LSAT because standardized tests often test how well you solve basic logic puzzles. And logic games for kids help them perform better in school and in life.
Our Spot the Alien logic puzzles are unique to us. Eric has been crafting these puzzles for many years and even has a best-selling book of them on Amazon. This particular Spot the Alien game is the perfect logic game for kids because it is simple in it’s premise, but really makes you think!
Here’s your logic game! Enjoy!
It’s snack time at the day care center. All of the children have one of three snacks (apple, cookie or cereal), one of three toys (stuffed bear, stuffed pony, or yo-yo), and one of three favorite cartoons (Marvin & The Muskrats, Schmooby Lou and GrungeBob CircleShorts). But one of these children is an alien – which one?
- Every human child who has an apple also has a yo-yo; no human child who has a cookie likes GrungeBob CircleShorts.
- Every human child who has a stuffed pony also has a cookie; no human child who has a stuffed bear likes Marvin & The Muskrats.
- Every human child whose favorite cartoon is Marvin & The Muskrats has cereal; no human child whose favorite cartoon is Schmooby Lou has a stuffed pony.
- Amy has an apple.
- Benny has a cookie.
- Connie has cereal.
- Danny has a stuffed bear.
- Ellie has a stuffed pony.
- Frankie has a yo-yo.
- Gracie’s favorite cartoon is Marvin & The Muskrats.
- Harry’s favorite cartoon is Schmooby Lou.
- Ivy’s favorite cartoon is GrungeBob CircleShorts.
Who is the alien?
Scroll down for the answer!
Let’s look at all possibilities for human children, broken down by snack.
Suppose a human child has an apple. By clue 1, she also has a yo-yo. Therefore by clue 3, her favorite cartoon can’t be Marvin & the Muskrats, but it could be Schmooby Lou or GrungeBob CircleShorts.
Suppose a human child has a cookie. By clue 1, his favorite cartoon can’t be GrungeBob CircleShorts; by clue 3 it can’t be Marvin & The Muskrats either, so it must be Schmooby Lou. In which case, again by clue 3, he can’t have a stuffed pony, but he could have a stuffed bear or a yo-yo.
Finally, suppose a human child has cereal. By clue 2 she can’t have a stuffed pony, so she must have a stuffed bear or a yo-yo. If she has a stuffed bear, then again by clue 2 her favorite cartoon can’t be Marvin & The Muskrats, but it could be Schmooby Lou or GrungeBob CircleShorts. If she has a yo-yo, then any of the three cartoons could be her favorite.
What have we learned? That regardless of their snack or favorite cartoon, no human child can possibly have a stuffed pony.
Therefore, Ellie must be the alien.